Monday, May 08, 2006

Kangaroo Meat and Kangaroo Courts


This is, in theory (and once I am through with finals will be in practice) a blog about food, bars and politics. Rachel Maddow sent me an article this evening that I must post if only because it is the perfect Speak Easy story. So perfect in fact, I am not sure if I am horrified because one of the lawyers in charge of Saddam Hussein's laughable "trial" is double-billing as he simultaneously runs a restaurant in New York from Baghdad, or if I am outraged by Paul Bremer's early interest in New York lawyers rather than armor for our troops. Then again, I may be displeased that my mom likes the restaurant owned by the aforementioned Bremer loyalist who botched the Hussein trail so badly he must have confused his order for kangaroo meat with the kind of court we needed to set up.

Kangaroo courts like this one put the notion of international justice itself in jeopardy. Holding tyrants, rebels, dictators, authoritarians, kings and all state leaders responsible when they wantonly kill their own people is a relatively new phenomenon, and one built on a very precarious foundation made weaker by disingenuous Bush officials and appointees like this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home