Friday, April 07, 2006

Sox v. Orioles: Who Will Win? Who Will Care?!

My baseball knowledge is limited to stats and fun-facts-to-know-and-tell that help me talk to my 21-year old brother, Ben. His respect for me is limited and the only thing we have in common is that we both agree baseball is the greatest sport on earth. Let me amend that, baseball is the greatest sport on earth that is not ribbon dancing.

We also agree that the Yankees blow chunks of radioactive asphalt. Living in NY, that makes me a Sox fan. Living in NY also makes me a booze fan. I have compiled a list of great Red Sox bars in NY that should keep even the winos happy (I'm lookin' at you, mom!) this weekend when the Sox take on the Orioles.

1. Riviera Cafe: 225 W 4th St at 7th ave. This is where I'll be for Saturday's game. It's generally known as the best of the Red Sox bars, so don't come thinking you've found a hole-in-the-wall. It's more like a well advertized, generally revered, hot spot-in-the-wall.

2. Pat O'Brien's: Owned by The Insider's Pat OBrien, you get a free sexy-talk session with every beer! I hate it when these things write themselves. 1701 Second Ave at 88th St.

3. Lion's Head Tavern: It's on my freakin' corner! And the Budweiser girls are there twice a month! And everyone talks like I write: with an abundance of exclamation marks! Try the nachos. And don't get shot. Two people did not take that advice in January and I haven't seen then around much anymore. 995 Amsterdam Ave at 109th st.

4. Hairy Monk: OK, I've never been here because it's in a part of town I never go to (translation: snoozefest). But it's got a pretty great name and I imagine they have a house drink also named The Hairy Monk. Not sure, just a guess. I bet it involves gin... 337 3rd. Ave. at 25th st.

And if you like watching the games on TV, you might want to know that Congress will be holding hearings on why the Nationals games are not televised. Comcast is asking the O's owner, Peter Angelos, to relinquish his deal with MLB over the broadcasting rights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home